Tuesday, June 14, 2011

another la fonda sunset to end the day

We wound down the day at La Fonda's Bell Tower sipping cool drinks and watching the sun set in a smoke-free clear sky. I don't know where La Fonda gets those tasty pecans they serve, but I could eat them every day...soft, and coated with a light spice that gives the perfect kick once they go down.


Before kicking back at La Fonda we toured around the historic town of Chimayo along the High Road to Taos. It's a beautiful place in an old country sort of way. I felt more like I was in Spain, the Jaca region, than just 30 or so minutes from Santa Fe, New Mexico. Chimayo is said to be the site of a miracle about 200 years ago and miraculous healings are said to have occurred at the site since. A chapel, the Santuario de Chimayo, was built on the site in 1816. Today thousands of pilgrims make the journey to Chimayo every year.

I hope the man who we helped up the slope in his wheelchair felt comfort and gets the healing he needs. At first he struck me as someone who didn't frequent a church, but I was touched as I watched him humbly sit at the front alter and pray for a long period of time.

More on Chimayo's history and the chapel later, including info about the healing room. That's not what it's really called, but makes sense.

We visited shops, bought red and green chile and decorative tin art of Pasqual, Patron Saint of the Kitchen. We ended our Chimayo day at Rancho de Chimayo for a late lunch. My buddy Melanie recommended the stuffed sopapilla, but I opted for the chili relleno topped off with guacamole, salsa, and Sangria. Delicious.


We walked off our lunch in downtown Santa Fe and walking up to the Cross of the Martyrs (commemorating the 21 Franciscan priests killed during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680). I love the view of the city from the top.


So, after our La Fonda Bell Tower sunset and relaxation we headed back home to get some work done!

It's been another great day. And again, better pics will come later.

No comments: