Friday, June 10, 2011

turquoise trail


Not fancy, but tasty lunch at Jezebel Gallery Studio & Soda Fountain (roasted pepper and gouda soup)

I explored a chunk of the Turquoise Trail, a National Scenic Byway, yesterday. The trail links Santa Fe and Albuquerque and is a great historic option instead of driving the Interstate between the two cities. Several mining towns link the two larger cities and are scattered with museums, art galleries, restaurants, and hiking options. The art galleries aren't fancy like Santa Fe's Canyon Road galleries, but they're more quirky and off beat. It wasn't at all what I expected, but I enjoyed seeing what the trail was all about.

See everything from the dusty, tiny town of Cerrillos with an old-time rock shop and petting zoo (just a few animals really), the more bustling town of Madrid with shops, galleries, and soda fountain, to Sandia Crest, the highest point on the trail at 10,678 feet.

The pics I posted are just from my iPhone, but I'll post a few better ones from my camera once I get them downloaded.

No comments: